Before the Event
Here are some ways to support your participant before the big day arrives.
During the Event Weekend
Once the big weekend has arrived, there are any numbers of ways to support your participant.
- Opening & Closing Ceremonies. The Komen 3-Day begins and ends with an incredible Ceremony. These celebrations are not just for participants. Friends and family are highly encouraged to attend. Select your 3-Day below to view details:
San Francisco Bay Area
- Cheering Stations. Public cheering stations are a great way to show your support along the route to encourage walkers and let them know that you are with them every step of the way. Seeing familiar faces can provide that extra burst of energy that gets a walker to take that next step or go the next mile. Create banners, hold up signs, bring some music and spread the love - anything to make them smile, get energized and keep walking. Select your 3-Day for details:
San Francisco Bay Area
Cheering stations will be posted approximately two weeks prior to each 3-Day®.
- Volunteer. Help with the Closing Ceremony or the 3-Day campsite. Click here to register as a volunteer. (Volunteer registration will open approximately two months before each event.)
- Camp. Our campsite is meant to be a special place for our participants to relax, reflect and bond with the 3-Day community. To help us maintain a safe, secure and organized campsite for your loved ones, we ask that you respect our “no visitors” policy. Also, if you wish to call your walker or crew member on their cell phone, please do not call after 9:00 p.m. “lights out,” when camp is a quiet zone. In the event of an emergency, you can reach your participant through our hotline: 800-416-3364.
- At Home. Capture the 3-Day in the news: While walkers are taking steps to end breast cancer, save any media coverage of the 3-Day. Aside from being a nice addition to your participant's 3-Day memorabilia, it will show her/his impact on the community. Or if you have kids, help them create signs or decorations if they are able to go to a cheering station, or create a welcome home banner.
- This year the Bank of America 3-Day Connections™ tag will help friends and family track participants along the route. As participants reach daily milestones during the 3-Day, Bank of America 3-Day Connections will automatically post a personalized message to their Facebook and/or Twitter feed. Participants can register for tracking here, and then pick up their tag on site at the Opening Ceremony Friday morning, or in the Bank of America tent at camp. The tag does not track time or distance walked. It is just a fun way for participants to stay connected with their supporters.
- Follow the 3-Day on Twitter @the3day or post your own updates using the hashtag #the3day. We're also on Facebook at Facebook.com/the3day.
- Download the 3-Day Supporter logos
- Print the 3-Day Supporter posters
After the Event
Your participant has participated in two emotional celebrations, a challenging 60-mile journey and a life-changing experience in just three days. Now, it’s time to go back home. Here are some tips on how to help your walker make a smooth transition back to their daily routine.
- Thank your participant for the incredible commitment they’ve made!
- Have a welcome home meal prepared and make it an evening of rest and relaxation.
- Encourage your participant to share the 3-Day experience.
- If you can’t attend the Closing Ceremony, be sure to ask how much money was raised!
- Unpack, clean and put away gear.
- Share the newspaper articles or news footage that you’ve collected over the weekend.
- The following day, give your participant a massage or schedule a day of pampering at a spa.
- In the days to come, help your participant write thank you notes.
- Print pictures and assemble a scrapbook.
- Help your participant plan a reunion party to keep in touch with other walkers.
- Get ready to do it all over again! Maybe you’ll be joining the 3-Day next year!