Before the Event
Here are some ways to support your participant before the big day arrives.
- Help raise money. Ask your participant how you can get involved in her/his fundraising plan.
- Write a letter expressing your love and support to your participant, which we’ll deliver during the event. Details of where and when to send your letters will be posted approximately 2-3 months prior to each event.
- Organize a group to host your very own private cheering station. Check back several weeks before your event weekend for detailed information here.
- Organize a group of Camp Angels to assist participants with setting up and striking tents and unloading gear. Click here to register as a camp angel volunteer. (Volunteer registration will open approximately two months before each event.)
During the Event Weekend
Once the big weekend has arrived, there are any numbers of ways to support your participant.
- Opening & Closing Ceremonies. The Komen 3-Day begins and ends with an incredible Ceremony. These celebrations are not just for participants. Friends and family are highly encouraged to attend. Check back several weeks before your event weekend for detailed information here.
- Cheering Stations. Public cheering stations are a great way to show your support along the route to encourage walkers and let them know that you are with them every step of the way. Seeing familiar faces can provide that extra burst of energy that gets a walker to take that next step or go the next mile. Create banners, hold up signs, bring some music and spread the love - anything to make them smile, get energized and keep walking. Cheering stations will be posted approximately two weeks prior to each 3-Day®.
- Volunteer. Help with the Opening or Closing Ceremony. Click here to register as a volunteer. (Volunteer registration will open approximately two months before each event.)
- Camp. Our campsite is meant to be a special place for our participants to relax, reflect and bond with the 3-Day community. To help us maintain a safe, secure and organized campsite for your loved ones, we ask that you respect our “no visitors” policy. Also, if you wish to call your walker or crew member on their cell phone, please do not call after 9:00 p.m. “lights out,” when camp is a quiet zone. In the event of an emergency, you can reach your participant through our hotline: 800-416-3364.
- At Home. Capture the 3-Day in the news: While walkers are taking steps to end breast cancer, save any media coverage of the 3-Day. Aside from being a nice addition to your participant's 3-Day memorabilia, it will show her/his impact on the community. Or if you have kids, here are a few great ways to engage them in the cause:
- Have them create signs or decorations if they are able to go to a cheering station.
- Have them create a welcome home banner.
- Give them journals so they can write or draw what they’ve been doing for three days.
- Have them plan a welcome home meal or put together a care package with goodies, movies, comfy slippers, etc.
- Use this as an opportunity to talk to your kids about community, helping others and making a difference in the world.
- This year Bank of America will be providing a “Smart Card” to help friends and family track participants along the route. The Smart Card will automatically trigger posts to a participant's Facebook page as they hit key spots along the route, including the start, lunch and finish each day. Participants can pick up a card and register it on site at the Opening Ceremony Friday morning, or in the Bank of America tent throughout the weekend.
- Follow the 3-Day on Twitter @the3day or post your own updates using the hashtag #the3day.
- Download the 3-Day Supporter logos
- Print the 3-Day Supporter posters
After the Event
Your participant has participated in two emotional celebrations, a challenging 60-mile journey and a life-changing experience in just three days. Now, it’s time to go back home. Here are some tips on how to help your walker make a smooth transition back to their daily routine.
- Have a welcome home meal prepared and make it an evening of rest and relaxation.
- Encourage your participant to share the 3-Day experience.
- If you can’t attend the Closing Ceremony, be sure to ask how much money was raised!
- Unpack, clean and put away gear.
- Share the newspaper articles or news footage that you’ve collected over the weekend.
- The following day, give your participant a massage or schedule a day of pampering at a spa.
- In the days to come, help your participant write thank you notes.
- Print pictures and assemble a scrapbook.
- Help your participant plan a reunion party to keep in touch with other walkers.
- Get ready to do it all over again! Maybe you’ll be joining the 3-Day next year!