Fundraising Ideas Library
This database is intended to provide a forum for registered Susan G. Komen 3-Day® participants to share fundraising ideas and success stories with each other. The administrator reserves the right to edit or not publish any posting at any time. A specific user may also be banned from posting based on activity deemed inappropriate by the administrator.
All posts express the views and opinions of the author and not of the Komen 3-Day, or its sponsors or the administrator.
Please use our fundraising idea library responsibly so that our forum will be pleasant and enjoyable for everyone. Thank you.
Please remember that the sharing of personal and confidential information about you, your family and/or friends is done without any expectation of privacy. By offering contact information, you must understand that other 3-Day® participants may contact you with questions or to discuss material included in your posting.
The fundraising minimum of $2,300 per participant per event allows the 3-Day to raise as much money as possible for breast cancer research, education and community outreach programs. The 3-Day provides tools and suggested techniques to help you achieve your fundraising goals, as well as one-on-one support from your coach who has likely participated in and fundraised for the event. When implementing any of these techniques or pursuing alternate methods of fundraising, it is imperative that you adhere to the following guidelines in order to maintain the integrity of the 3-Day event and provide your potential donors with the confidence that their money will be put to good use in the fight against breast cancer:
- The 3-Day will not be responsible for any fundraising activities or the content of any promotional materials (including the content of your 3-Day fundraising page) of its participants but reserves the right in the sole discretion of Susan G. Komen®, to require participants to immediately terminate any fundraising activity, or the use of any promotional material (including the content of your 3-Day fundraising page), that is considered objectionable for any reason.
- All donations solicited for the 3-Day must be collected through an official donation channel:
o Online at The3Day.org or through the official 3-Day Facebook application.
o Over the phone at 800-996-3DAY
o Mailed with an official 3-Day donation form
Do not direct donations to any other collection site (such as PayPal or your personal bank account). This ensures that all donations can be credited appropriately to your 3-Day fundraising account to benefit Komen and that donors receive receipts for tax purposes.
- States and local communities have laws governing many fundraising activities, including raffles, garage sales, leafleting, auctions and other promotional activities. Compliance with applicable laws is the responsibility of each participant, and the 3-Day cannot render legal or tax advice on these matters. Please check with your local authorities before fundraising in these ways.
- If you plan to post flyers in a public space (grocery stores, malls, parking lots, etc.), please check with the property’s owner or manager before posting your materials.
- Please be sure that all 3-Day fundraising materials are in good taste, not misleading and do not violate any 3-Day guideline or requirement.
- Be sure to make it clear to potential participants and donors that your fundraising activity is being organized by you or your team in connection with your participation in the 3-Day event, which benefits Komen. Komen, along with its local Affiliates in your area, organize Race for the Cure® events and other fundraising and/or breast cancer awareness events, and it is important to avoid confusion between the fundraising events run by Komen and the fundraising events run by 3-Day participants. Also, it is important that your potential donors are accurately informed about where their money will go—they deserve to know that they are supporting you in your 3-Day journey and helping you reach your personal fundraising goal as you train to walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men and that 100% of the net proceeds raised by participants in the 3-Day benefit Komen and are invested in community-based breast health programs and breast cancer research.
- You may not directly or indirectly represent yourself as an official representative of Komen or the 3-Day. You may not directly or indirectly represent that your fundraising activity is organized by Komen or the 3-Day (it must be clear that it is being organized by you and/or your team in connection with your participation in the 3-Day, which benefits Komen, as described in the bullet point above).
- Komen reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to require participants to immediately terminate any action, activity or representation, including those that are considered confusing or misleading to potential donors, other participants or the public generally or those that Komen, in its sole discretion, determines to be undesirable or objectionable.
- Without limiting the general guideline in the bullet above, your Fundraising activities may not include:
o arrangements with any alcoholic beverage company, tobacco company or other company, retail store or restaurant in which the contribution is generated solely through alcohol or tobacco sales;
o arrangements with any medical care provider or pharmaceutical company where the donation is triggered from the purchase of a medication;
o the sale of any firearm, weapon or other high-risk product;
o arrangements with companies, or the sale of products, that would bring disrepute to Komen (e.g., companies that produce sexually explicit products or adult entertainment, such as pornographic movies, publications, adult toys or websites); or
o events held in venues or establishments of an inappropriate or suggestive nature (e.g., gentlemen’s clubs, the Playboy Mansion) or events with an inappropriate or suggestive theme (e.g., wet t-shirt contests, mud wrestling).
- Komen is the legal owner of many logos, phrases, names and trademarks that are related to breast cancer awareness and the search for the cure for breast cancer, including the 3-Day® name, the 3-Day logo, the Susan G. Komen® name, the Susan G. Komen logo, the Susan G. Komen Running Ribbon, and Race for the Cure®. By fundraising for the 3-Day, you acknowledge Komen’s ownership of the foregoing logos, phrases, names and trademarks, and agree not to contest or assist others to contest the ownership and validity of them, and further agree you will not, without written license from Komen, use any logo, phrase, name or trademark that is the property of Komen or confusingly similar to any logo, phrase, name or trademark that is the property of Komen.
- Any use (whether or not authorized) of any logo, phrase, name or trademark that is the property of Komen, including the use of the special 3-Day walker/crew logos, and any goodwill associated therewith, shall be for the benefit of Komen.
- You may not use or reproduce any logo, phrase, name or and mark that is the property of Komen for any purpose (fundraising or otherwise) without written permission from Komen, except you may use the special 3-Day Walker logo / Crew logo / Supporter logo / Participant logo as long as such use is in accordance with these guidelines.
- As a walker or crew member, you do have Komen’s permission to use the special 3-Day Walker logo / Crew logo / Supporter logo / Participant logo. Use of these special logos is provided for the appropriate personal use of 3-Day participants only. These logos may not be used on any merchandise meant for sale. Examples of appropriate uses of these logos are: on your personal website or social networking page, in fundraising letters or emails, on T-shirts or on appropriately sized banners for your personal use or for your team. The special 3-Day Walker logo / Crew logo / Supporter logo (or, with the Facebook application only, the Participant logo) are the ONLY logos Komen authorizes you to use in connection with your participation in the 3-Day. Any use of any other logo, phrase, name or mark of Komen or the 3-Day, including the Komen Running Ribbon, is strictly prohibited. Komen reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse participation to anyone at any time before or during a 3-Day event, including without limitation on the basis of such participant’s unauthorized use of any Komen or 3-Day logo, phrase, name or mark (or any logo, phrase, name or mark that may be considered confusing or misleading to potential donors, other participants or the public generally).
- Komen reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to require participants to immediately terminate any unauthorized, inappropriate or objectionable use of any Komen or 3-Day logo, phrase, name or mark (including the special 3-Day Walker logo / Crew logo / Supporter logo / Participant logo) or any logo, phrase, name or mark that may be considered confusing or misleading to potential donors, other participants or the public generally.
- Photographs and video of any 3-Day event may be reproduced for personal use only. Any media intended for sale (e.g., book, DVD, photo albums, etc.) that includes images of or content from the 3-Day must be approved by Komen prior to sale or distribution.
Komen reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse participation to anyone at any time before or during a 3-Day event, including without limitation on the basis of such participant’s unauthorized, inappropriate or objectionable fundraising activity, promotional material (including the content of your 3-Day fundraising page) or use of any logo, phrase, name or mark.