- Tell the salesperson that you are training for a 60-mile walk. That will help them find the appropriate running or walking shoes for an endurance event like the Susan G. Komen 3-Day®.
- Try on shoes with the same type of sock you’ll be walking in. Test them out on a hard surface.
- You will probably need a shoe that is one-half or one size larger than your normal shoe size.
- Your heel should not slip in and out of the shoe as you walk.
- The shoe should be flexible, not stiff.
- There should be a thumb’s width of space between your toe and the end of the shoe.
- Look for shoes that breathe and don’t cause your feet to overheat.
- Shop for shoes in the afternoon or evening, since feet have a tendency to swell over the course of the day.
- When you find a good pair of shoes, buy a second pair. Alternate between both pairs while training, so you don’t wear your shoes out before the Komen 3-Day.