Before the Event
Here are some ways to support your participant before the big day arrives:
- Write a letter expressing your love and support to your walker, which we’ll deliver to her/him on the event. Getting mail on event can provide a big boost to their spirits. Take a few minutes to write a note which will brighten up their Komen 3-Day experience!
Send letters to:
Susan G. Komen 3-Day Camp Mail
ATTN: INSERT NAME OF PARTICIPANT
PO Box 149
Accord, MA 02018
Envelopes only, please. No boxes or large packages. Mail must be postmarked no later than July 16 in order to ensure delivery at the 3-Day Camp Post Office. Please note: This address is not the actual location of camp, but a PO Box for mail delivery only. Any mail that is not received by the 3-Day® by July 16th or retrieved by the participant by August 12th will be destroyed.
- Organize a group to host your very own private cheering station. (Contact email@example.com for more information.) You have the potential to turn any tired 3-Day walker into a happy participant by surprising them at a cheering station!
- Send your participant sweet dreams with a personal note and a treat. Click here for details.
- Help raise money. Ask your participant how you can get involved in her/his fundraising plan to help your walker exceed their fundraising goal.
During the Event Weekend
Once the big weekend has arrived, there are any number of ways to support your participant.
- Opening Ceremony. The 3-Day begins early Friday morning with the Opening Ceremony. When you arrive, take a moment to write the names of the people in your life who have lost their lives to breast cancer on the white ribbons we will provide. The ribbons will be used to create a special memorial flag that will be raised during the ceremony.
Friends and family are highly encouraged to attend this emotional celebration, which starts your walker’s 3-Day journey. Please note that seating will not be available, so if you are unable to stand for 30-60 minutes, you may want to bring a folding chair. Please allow extra travel time while coming and going due to expected traffic congestion at the site.
After the Opening Ceremony is over, participants will begin walking the route and start a journey of a lifetime.
Friday, July 26
100 Dudley Road
Framingham, MA 01702
Schedule for the Day:
5:00 a.m. - Crew members should arrive.
5:30 a.m. - 6:30 a.m. - Walkers should arrive.
7:00 a.m. - Opening Ceremony begins with community stretching.
From Route 135/Waverly Street, turn right onto Winter Street and proceed for approximately 0.2 miles. Turn right into the Joseph P. Keefe Technical School (750 Winter Street, Framingham, MA 01702) for participant drop-off. From here, participants will follow the walking route to the Opening Ceremony site.
- Cheering Stations. Public cheering stations are a great way to show your support along the route. Encourage walkers and let them know that you are with them every step of the way. Create banners, hold up signs, bring some music and spread the love - anything to make them smile, get energized and keep walking.
On some portions of the route you may find areas that are deemed “quiet zones” which will be indicated by signage on the route. Please assist us in respecting our neighborhoods and communities during this time.
Cheering station locations and times will be posted approximately 2 weeks prior to the event.
- Volunteer. Help with the Closing Ceremony or at the 3-Day campsite. Click here to sign up.
- Camp. Our campsite is meant to be a special place for our participants to relax, reflect and bond with the 3-Day community. If you wish to call your walker or crew member on their cell phone, please do not call after 9:00 p.m. “lights out,” when camp is a quiet zone. In the event of an emergency, you can reach your participant through our hotline: 800-416-3364.
- At Home. Capture the 3-Day in the news: While walkers are taking steps to end breast cancer, save any media coverage of the 3-Day. Aside from being a nice addition to your participant's 3-Day memorabilia, it will show her/his impact on the community. Or if you have kids, help them create signs or decorations if they are able to go to a cheering station, or create a welcome home banner.
- This year the Bank of America 3-Day Connections™ tag will help friends and family track participants along the route. As participants reach daily milestones during the 3-Day, Bank of America 3-Day Connections will automatically post a personalized message to their Facebook and/or Twitter feed. Participants can register for tracking, and then pick up their tag on site at the Opening Ceremony Friday morning, or in the Bank of America tent at camp. The tag does not track time or distance walked. It is just a fun way for participants to stay connected with their supporters.
- Follow the 3-Day on Twitter @the3day or post your own updates to Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #the3day. We’re also on Facebook at facebook.com/the3day.
- Download the 3-Day Supporter logos.
- Print the 3-Day Supporter poster.
- Closing Ceremony. After three days and 60 miles, participants will take a final and incredibly emotional victory walk into the Closing Ceremony. Friends, family and supporters should arrive at the Closing Ceremony site at least one hour early to get the best view of the program. We encourage you to carpool or take public transportation. Not only is it better for the planet, but it will help lessen traffic congestion for everyone as you arrive and leave.
All walkers and crew members should remain in the Participant Finish Area where they will receive a victory shirt, cheer on fellow walkers and crew members and celebrate one last time together before their dramatic victory walk. The Participant Finish Area is CLOSED to spectators. If you wish to meet with a participant before the Ceremony begins, please have them meet you at the Closing Ceremony site. All participants must return to the Participant Finish Area no later than 4:00 p.m. in order to join the victory walk.
Sunday, July 28
Boston College High School
150 William T Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
Parking: Please note that parking will ONLY be accessible from Mount Vernon Street. For GPS reference, please use address 200 Mount Vernon St, Dorchester, MA 02125. When arriving, following event signage to park in appropriate areas.
Public Transportation: Boston College High School is in walking distance, less than a half-mile from the MBTA’s JFK/UMass Station, which serves both the Red Line (subway) and the Old Colony Line (commuter rail). MBTA bus lines 8 and 16 are also within walking distance, and pick-up on Mount Vernon Street, just in front of Sovereign Bank.
After the Event
Your participant has participated in two emotional celebrations, a challenging 60-mile journey and a life-changing experience in just three days. Now, it’s time to go back home. Here are some tips on how to help your walker make a smooth transition back to their daily routine.
- Thank your participant for the incredible commitment they’ve made!
- Have a welcome home meal prepared and make it an evening of rest and relaxation.
- Encourage your participant to share the 3-Day experience.
- If you can’t attend the Closing Ceremony, be sure to ask how much money was raised!
- Unpack, clean and put away gear.
- Share the newspaper articles or news footage that you’ve collected over the weekend.
- The following day, give your participant a massage or schedule a day of pampering at a spa.
- In the days to come, help your participant write thank you notes.
- Print pictures and assemble a scrapbook.
- Help your participant plan a reunion party to keep in touch with other walkers.
- Get ready to do it all over again! Maybe you’ll be joining the 3-Day next year!