It's that time again for me to lace up my Hoka's and start my annual journey to help find a cure for breast cancer.The 3-day 60 mile walk is an commitment that I make every year. People ask why do I do it ? I simply reply because I can. I admit walking 60 miles in 3 days is not that easy, but it is an incredible journey. I walk for those who can’t because they are still fighting, or lost their life to this terrible disease.
As a mammography technologist I have seen first hand what breast cancer can do. This disease doesn't discriminate , it affects everyone, the young, the old, men, women and all races. I have seen my patients fight this unacceptable disease with courage, strong will, hope and believing that they will beat this monster. Some do survive for many years, others don't. It is for all of them that I walk to help raise the money to continue the research to find a cure.
As a walker, I am part of what is known as the "Pink Family" and the the 3 days are considered the "Pink Bubble". This is because we walkers all have a common cause and that is to find an end to breast cancer. When doing this walk,I can't help but have a positive attitude because the camaraderie is amazing. We are there to help one another on this journey. No one walks alone,there is always a kind word, smile or helping hand when needed. The people that I have met along my walks are unforgettable. The stories they share and their highly motivative spirits are contagious. It is a weekend of sweat, laughter, tears, sore muscles, and blisters, but I believe it is worth doing. We walk as one with one goal.
Komen announced in 2016 that their goal is to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 % in the United States by 2026. 80%of net profits raised support Komen”s Research and Training Grant Programs, large Public Health Outreach Programs for women and men facing Breast Cancer.The remaining 20 % helps fund local community and affiliate support outreach programs.
I find out everyday , from team members or others, that someone they know has been diagnosed with cancer or has lost their battle. This has got to stop. Please donate to my cause, no amount is to small. I am very appreciative of what ever you feel that you can give.
Thank you for helping me achieve my goal,
Walker DC ...2009 Crew Philly, Walker Seattle...2018
Walker Philly...2010 Crew Philly, Walker 20 miles... 2018
Walker DC ...2011 Walker Dallas/Fort Worth...2018
Walker San Diego...2016