Dear Family & Friends:
Last year I was so disappointed that I could not participate in the 3Day Walk. I was diagnosed with vertigo in July and was still going through vestibular therapy so I decided that it wasn’t a good idea to try to walk 60+ miles!
After 2015’s walk, I was honored by the Susan G. Komen organization for my dedication and for being in the top 10% for fundraising. It was such a great feeling knowing that I am helping to make a difference and that I am part of such an amazing group of people.
So this year I have been given the opportunity to walk in any of the 7 host cities and bring a friend. I am walking with my very good friend, Kelli Maloney, who is like a sister to me. We will be taking our walking shoes and smiles to the city of Seattle on September 15th -17th . We are super excited to meet the walkers and crew who make the walk there a success. My friends, Michele Tiesse and Bob Gilb will be out hosts for the weekend taking us from here to there and hopefully massaging our tired feet.
Over the course of 3 days, Kelli and I, along with thousands of women and men, will walk 60 miles. This has always been one of the most physically challenging things I have done, and yet it continues to be the most emotionally rewarding. Please be sure to continue to send me texts, emails and posts on Facebook to keep me going that weekend.
Every year I walk in memory of my mom, Helen, who lost her battle to this horrible disease 32 years ago at the young age of 46, as well as all people affected by cancer. It wasn’t easy to say goodbye at the age of 19 and I miss her every day. I know she is proud of my dedication to this cause and that I won’t quit walking until a cure is found.
This year I am walking in honor of my childhood friend, Marion Wanjek Passman who is now currently in remission. She was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in December 2015, and had a bilateral mastectomy in January 2016. She never needed chemotherapy or radiation and is currently in remission. I love when these stories have happy endings.
I am also walking in support of one of my dearest friends, Amy Lukasevich, who is currently battling Follicular Lymphoma. On April 14, 2014, she was diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma. For the next 18 months she was closely monitored and on October 1, 2016, she was diagnosed with Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma. On October 14th she had her first chemotherapy treatment and on January 30th she rang the bell signaling the last chemo treatment. March 30th , Amy had her first of 18 radiation treatments and on April 21st, she will have her last. She is the toughest chick I know, never letting any of this stop her from living her life to the fullest and always putting everyone else first. The basketball court is where we were lucky to have first met and I am forever grateful for the friendship we have today.
2005, the first year I walked with my sister, Missy and my niece, Tara, seems like forever ago. I will never forget us saying on the car ride home…“there’s no way I am doing that walk again”!! But this has become a “lifetime commitment”…to find the cure. I walk for those who have lost their battle, for those currently fighting their battle and for those who survived their battle. I walk for all the children, like me, who lost their parents way too young. I walk because no matter how much pain or any injury I endure, it cannot come close to fighting cancer. I walk because I can. I walk because “Everyone deserves a lifetime”.
I will begin my training for this incredible event as soon as the weather is a little warmer.
I have to commit to raise $2,300 for this year’s walk but I am setting a personal goal to raise $32,000.00…$1,000.00 for every year my mom has been gone. Please find it in your hearts and wallets by supporting me as I take this amazing journey in the fight to end breast cancer. 75% of the net proceeds raised by the Komen 3-Day helps fund national research and large public outreach programs. The remaining 25% helps fund local community programs and affiliate support. In 2016, there were 2.8 million breast cancer survivors in the USA...walking is working!
I am so grateful for all the love and support so many of you have given me over the last 11 years and hoping that I can count on you again…every little bit helps. Your donation is tax deductible and remember to check with your employer regarding a matching gift.
Seattle here we come !!