Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Enthused after semi-retiring from UC Davis this July, I made the decision to accept an incredible challenge to walk 60 miles over the course of three days in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® walk for the cure event. I took on this challenge to honor my high school classmate, Denise Spinardi, who died of breast cancer just 15 months ago, and my first cousin, Korey, who is presently battling stage four pancreatic cancer in Canada. I believe that each step we take to curing breast cancer gives us one more step towards finding a cure for all cancers.
This November I will walk with 95 plus other teammates, “Hands Up for Hooters”, and today I ask for your support by donating to this critical cause. In this way, your participation will be very special, as I will proudly wear your loved one’s name during the walk. Last year our team exceeded our fundraising goal of 200,000, raising 230,000 for the Komen foundation, and was the largest team in the San Diego 3-Day Walk.
Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $847 million in research and provided almost $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment, and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries. 75% percent of the net proceeds raised by the 3-Day® help support Komen’s Research and Training Grant Programs as well as large public health outreach programs for women and men facing breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent helps fund local community and Affiliate support and outreach programs.
And to do this, I really need your help. Not only do I have to train, I need to raise $2300. Please utilize this convenient webpage to make your donation and do email me the name of your loved one, so I can honor them as well.
Thank you so much for your support!