After thinking about it for a few years, I have finally decided to take the plunge and embark on an amazing journey. While it may not be as romantic as escaping to Southern Italy or The French Riviera, as magnificent as heli-hiking in the Canadian Rockies or doing the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu, it is a commitment to action. Thousands of women and yes, some men are going to walk 60 miles over the course of three days at the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® to raise money for breast cancer research and community programs. I'm in!
On November 17-19, 2017 I will lace up my Asics and pound the San Diego pavement, dirt paths & rocky roads to raise money for breast cancer. Joining two of my biological sisters Patty & Judy and a team of 86 (& growing!) other "sisters" we will bring attention to this important cause. Our team of warriors is called "Hands Up For Hooters" and is the 2nd largest 3-Day team in the nation!!! Having raised $400,000 for breast cancer issues to date, I am excited to join this amazing team!
Did you know that "about 1 in 8 U.S. women, (about 12% ) will develop breast cancer in the course of her lifetime"? While my family has been blessed with pretty good health overall, we too have been touched by breast cancer and other terrible types of cancer. My sister Patty who brought Judy & I on board for this challenge, has a daughter who survived bone cancer. Don't we all know someone who has had cancer? So I will walk for those who have survived and sadly, those who have passed.
After having breast cancer in 2014, my sister Judy completed her first 3-Day/60mile walk in November of 2015 in beautiful San Diego. She said, "This was a life changing journey. I was deeply moved when I received my pale pink survivor finisher shirt with these words on the back: "Because the World is Never Changed with Half Measures". "We walk because we must!."
Even with osteo arthritis in both hips, the walking may not be as challenging as the fundraising! But with your help, our "Hands Up For Hooters" team will raise $300,000+ this year at the San Diego 3-Day. Personally, I am hoping to raise $3,000. My goal is to secure my donations by 10/12/17 which is my dear mother's 98th birthday. Thankfully she is healthy but her mother, my grandmother, died from breast cancer that had metastasized. So please take a moment to donate an amount you are comfortable with. You may also call 800-996-3DAY (3329) to donate.
75% of the net proceeds raised by the Susan G. Komen 3-Day® help support Komen’s Research & Training Grant Program and large public health outreach programs for women and men facing breast cancer. The remaining 25% helps fund local community and affiliate outreach programs. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $920 million in research and provided more than $2 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide.
Thank you for your concern and for supporting my journey,
"Chrissy" to my homies!
My Personal Web Log