This year I will be walking 60 miles (again) to support breast cancer research in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk. This will be my second year training, raising money, and going to San Diego to participate in this amazing event. My team, Hands Up for Hooters, was formed by my mom three years ago. Last year we raised $230,000 for Susan G. Komen, and this year our goal is $300,000.
Breast cancer is a cause that is dear to me, my mom was diagnosed when I was in college and, through treatment like Komen supports, was able to fight it. My husband lost his mom six years ago to breast cancer. Unfortunately, it's far too common and affects far too many people. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. But, with research and treatment like what Komen funds, the mortality rate in the US has dropped 38% since 1990.
That's where you come in! My goal is to raise $2,300, which will go to the Susan G. Komen foundation. 75% of the money raised in the walk goes directly to research. The other 25% goes to fund local community programs such as education, screening, and diagnosis and treatment programs for patients. Any donation, big or small, is immensely appreciated.
Thank you for your support!