Closing Ceremony 2010 Seattle 3Day
I find myself writing this changed times.
First, I want to clarify why I continue to support Komen in the 3 Day. The 3 day for the Cure is a fundraiser of the National Organization of the Susan G. Komen foundation. Therefore, all the money raised from the 3 Day goes to fund research. It was a research grant from this National foundation that is greatly responsible for the discovery of Herceptin a medicine administered to my Mother-in-law, Lillian, during the year she was battling phase 4 metastatic breast cancer. It is because of the Herceptin that she went into a brief period of remission in the summer of 2009, and she was able to enjoy trout fishing with her grandchildren before passing in January in 2010.
Based on all my conversations with the National organization, all the money that goes to Planned Parenthood is granted from the local affiliates Komen Affiliates. i.e. the SGK Spokane affiliate gives money to Planned Parenthood in Central Washington to fund free mammograms for migrant farmworkers who work and live in that area, where there are no other options for mammograms.
Of course there is the primary reason why I am connected with the Susan G. Komen cause: during a five month period in 2009-2010 my life was changed by the loss of both my mother (Patricia Young) and mother-in-law (Lillian Wong) to phase 4 metastatic breast cancer. Since this huge loss I have consistently been involved in raising money toward ending breast cancer.
In 2010 I walked with my team Fuschia Fever (Carla & Nancy) in my first 3 day for the Cure.
In both 2009 and 2011, I joined my brother's team, Pat's Peeps, as it did its walk for the SGK Hawaii affiliate.
This year (2012) I am very excited to join a local team here in West Seattle. The Captain is Tracy Dart. She is has survived breast cancer multiple times and is a tremendous inspiration to all of us.
Please support me as I take this amazing journey again in the fight to end breast cancer! The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure is a 60-mile walk over the course of three days. Net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure go toward the national organization (not local affiliates) that funds breast cancer research and programs.
And, Yes! I am getting back into shape! - Jennifer
- Donate online (view http://www.The3Day.org, select "donate?, select "Search for a participant?, enter my name)
- Send me and/or my team something pink to wear during the 3-Day.
- Share 3-Day information with your family/coworkers/friends
- Buy something from my Cafe Press Store www.cafepress.com/Hawaii4OLocalStyle4aCause
- Train with us (walk Alki, Green Lake, Discovery Park, Lincoln Park & more!)
- View our participant pages (view http://www.The3Day.org, select "donate", select "Search for a participant"
- Attach 3-Day info to your Facebook page
- Send me a letter during the walk. They have a "post-office" at 3day camp and it is really sad when you don't have any mail.
- Tell someone you know about the 3-Day Walk