Before the Event
Here are some ways to support your participant before the big day arrives:
- Write a letter expressing your love and support to your walker, which we’ll deliver to her/him on the event. Getting mail on event can provide a big boost to their spirits. Take a few minutes to write a note which will brighten up their Komen 3-Day experience!
Send letters to:
Susan G. Komen 3-Day Camp Mail
ATTN: INSERT NAME OF PARTICIPANT
P.O. Box 29
Homeworth, OH 44634
Envelopes only, please. No boxes or large packages. Mail must be postmarked no later than July 23 in order to ensure delivery at the 3-Day Camp Post Office. Please note: This address is not the actual location of camp, but a PO Box for mail delivery only. Any mail that is not received by the 3-Day® by July 23 or retrieved by the participant by August 19 will be destroyed.
- Organize a group to host your very own private cheering station. (Contact email@example.com for more information.) You have the potential to turn any tired 3-Day walker into a happy participant by surprising them at a cheering station!
- Send your participant sweet dreams with a personal note and a treat. Click here for details.
- Help raise money. Ask your participant how you can get involved in her/his fundraising plan to help your walker exceed their fundraising goal.
During the Event Weekend
Once the big weekend has arrived, there are any number of ways to support your participant.
- Opening Ceremony. The 3-Day begins early Friday morning with the Opening Ceremony. When you arrive, take a moment to write the names of the people in your life who have lost their lives to breast cancer on the white ribbons we will provide. The ribbons will be used to create a special memorial flag that will be raised during the ceremony.
Friends and family are highly encouraged to attend this emotional celebration, which starts your walker’s 3-Day journey. Please note that seating will not be available, so if you are unable to stand for 30-60 minutes, you may want to bring a folding chair. Please allow extra travel time while coming and going due to expected traffic congestion at the site.
After the Opening Ceremony is over, participants will begin walking the route and start a journey of a lifetime.
Friday, August 2
237 Erieside Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44114
Schedule for the Day:
5:00 a.m. - Crew members should arrive.
5:30 a.m. - 6:30 a.m. - Walkers should arrive.
7:00 a.m. - Opening Ceremony begins with community stretching.
After the Event
Your participant has participated in two emotional celebrations, a challenging 60-mile journey and a life-changing experience in just three days. Now, it’s time to go back home. Here are some tips on how to help your walker make a smooth transition back to their daily routine.
- Thank your participant for the incredible commitment they’ve made!
- Have a welcome home meal prepared and make it an evening of rest and relaxation.
- Encourage your participant to share the 3-Day experience.
- If you can’t attend the Closing Ceremony, be sure to ask how much money was raised!
- Unpack, clean and put away gear.
- Share the newspaper articles or news footage that you’ve collected over the weekend.
- The following day, give your participant a massage or schedule a day of pampering at a spa.
- In the days to come, help your participant write thank you notes.
- Print pictures and assemble a scrapbook.
- Help your participant plan a reunion party to keep in touch with other walkers.
- Get ready to do it all over again! Maybe you’ll be joining the 3-Day next year!